Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Stay your beautiful self

I was going back over some of our first blog posts the other day and came across a line I had written when I was telling about the day I first met Brad. 

If you remember, we met each other at my 18th birthday party. He was working at a grocery store at the time and came to the party with a girl who also worked there. 

I had completely forgotten about one line I had written and when I got to that line, I almost felt like I was back in time reliving that day. It put a big smile on my face. What made this memory so special is that I related it to the post Brad wrote almost a week ago ("Speaking of femme")

On that day when Brad and I first met, we were making a lot of small talk -- the work we did, school, where we lived, the fact that we had a mutual friend, etc. And then, almost out of the blue, I asked him if he was dating anyone. I know it was a bold move on my part, and I was probably crossing some kind of boundary since I had just met him, but I do things like that sometimes. I was so attracted to him and, well, I just blurted it out. Mouth and brain don't always work together.

Well, Brad got a big grin on his face when I asked him that and just said, "Actually, no." So I took that as my cue that maybe I didn't cross a boundary, so I asked if he might be interested in going to a movie with me the next weekend. 

And here was that line in the post I had completely forgotten about. "He [Brad] keeps looking into my eyes and I notice he has a little eye-liner on. God what beautiful eyes."

He answered "yes" and I was so happy he wanted to go out with me. But it was his eyes that grabbed my heart. 

So, relating this back to Brad's post ("Speaking of femme")to this day his eyes are one of the things that make him so beautiful. That expression about the eyes being the window to the soul is so true in his case. I know physical beauty is not everything, but on that first day we met, those eyes, with a little bit of eye-liner, drew me in, and to this day have not let me go.

And those eyes gave me a glimpse into the beautiful soul I was soon to discover.

Stay true -- Stay You.

19 comments:

  1. They eyes are one of the things that draw me in too. Beautifully written Matt. Your love for Brad just shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, choked me up. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Matty. I'm sighing and tearing. Just lovely. What a beautiful response to Bradley's post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this really made me smile. I love the "Stay True, Stay You" tagline, that's what hooked me into reading more. And I'm glad I did. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great! There is little else I can add, other than to say that if eyeliner helped Brad capture his man, it can only be good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, Matt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful <3 - Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Matt...so beautiful...this made me tear up with happiness. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great - the little things that are oh so important? We talked about eyeliner in group tonight - with 13 year olds! God I love reading about you and Brad. It just makes me feel all gooey inside, and helps me remember that maybe the right man is out there for me. I just need to go to more birthday parties! Maybe I'll get a present like YOU did!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  10. So darn sweet Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Matt... that's all from me tonight.

    ReplyDelete