Friday, January 11, 2013

Gay man named as Obama's inaugural poet

Matty asked me to post something today since he's still working on his post about his new year resolutions. He said to tell everybody that he just needed a little more time (but *whispering* I think he's obsessing about getting all the wording just right. He did say to mention that he anticipates having his resolutions ready before the end of the year. LOL).

So I did find something interesting and thought I'd share it:

The Presidential Inaugural Committee announced today that Richard Blanco, a partnered gay man and Cuban immigrant, will deliver an original poem at President Obama's inauguration on January 21.

You can check out this link to read more about his role in the Inaugural: Inaugural Poet.

And if you're interested, here's a link to the poet's website: www.richard-blanco.com.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Brad. I missed you! I thought Matty was hiding you lol. Looking forward to hearing Blanco's work. BTW tell Matty that the suspense for his Resolution series is killing us! Can he add not being so mean to his list? lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL for calling it a "series", Mary. :-D

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! I told him last night this was turning into a sequel! LOL ;)

      Delete
  2. Marty should know by now that we love the way he writes and that he doesn't need to obsess. Of course, that's easier said than done, right? Good to hear from you again Brad! And thanks for that bit of information. It's wonderful to see a gay man included in the inaugural festitvities and, since he was chosen, I'm sure his work is outstanding. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I wanna see his "good-poem day" dance! My hubby has a "beef jerky" dance. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! That sounds far dirtier than it actually is.

    As for Matty...MATTY! I'm making the "Y U NO guy" face again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing Brad. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand that Mr. Obama frustrated and angered many by his halting "evolution" on gay rights and marriage, but I felt all along that there were valid reasons for his proceeding slowly given the poisonous political climate in which we live.

    Now, with no more elections to worry about and having achieved a number of significant changes, I believe we will see a much more LGBT-conscious tone to his second term. Introducing the nation to a partnered, gay, Latino, immigrant poet in a prominent spot during the Inauguration ceremony is a very strong statement positive as to inclusive values, and a direct response to Republicans who have acted against gay marriage, LGBT rights, immigration and who seem to have little poetry in their souls. Point to the President!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brad, I read that too and I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just been reading some of Richard Blanco's poems on his website. Wow! 'We're Not Going to Malta' made me smile but most of the others are so moving. Just lovely. Look at this line -

    "tonight my life is an old friend sitting with me"

    (from El Florida Room). Isn't that just perfect? Thanks, Brad for telling me about him, he writes so clearly and beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me take a dip into the shallow end of the pool: I don't think I've ever seen a good-looking poet until now. :)

    ReplyDelete