Friday, January 25, 2013

A letter to you

To all our readers:

Hi everyone. I want to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone who took the time to write out your thoughts, advice, and support on my post from yesterday.  When I was reading back over all the comments, I started taking notes of things I hadn't thought of -- really helpful and relevant things I'm going to look into.

I'm trying to make some important decisions about my future and the comments you left are helping me feel more hopeful and energized. And I thank you so much for that.

I was a little worried you would see me as a whiny little kid because I think that's one of the things I tell myself sometimes. There's that sentence in my post yesterday about "...why do some things in life seem to take so long and are so hard and complicated?" that sounds a little whiny to me, but I tried to just write out my honest feelings regardless of how it sounded. I decided to leave that in because, well, that's how I honestly feel sometimes. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way, but I honestly do sometimes.

And then you left comments where you treated me with such respect and care that it almost blew me away. It means a lot to me that you take my concerns and fears seriously and talk to me as if I'm worthy of your time and care. I've had a lot of experiences in my life where I honestly felt like the people around me didn't think I was worthy of their time and care, and I'm always a little surprised and startled when I get it.

One of the things I like about our blog is how we can sometimes write about things that are completely silly and humorous, and then turn around and write about things that are very serious and celebratory, and sometimes very serious and painful.

But the biggest thing I like is how regardless of the "tone" of the topic we're writing about, your reactions and comments always reflect something personal about you. You may not share personal things about your life (even though we're thrilled when you do), but you always share your concern, your humor, your respect, your advice, and your support. And in my book, that's sharing something personal about you.

So again, thank you. Like I said I'm feeling more hopeful and energized about my future because of you. I'm also feeling a little more worthy of the time and care you show me. And that, almost more than anything you said, means the world to me.

Sincerely,

Bradley

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing yourself here. And BTW, I bet most of us of varying ages have asked that question about complications, especially in the working world. I don't think it's whiny at all. It just means you can see the straight line through life's obstacles and you're looking to overcome them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww B! We readers wouldn't come here and comment at all if we didn't think you were worth it. And you just now showed us again why. That you would take the time to say thank you for something that touched you means the world to /me/. People don't say thank you enough in this world and I am touched you took the time. Great big hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome! And just so you know, your post didn't come off as whiny to me at all. It's perfectly natural to stop, question, and reevaluate the path you're taking, especially at your age. It's not just time and hard work you're investing in your education, but also a lot of money, and the decisions you make now will affect you the rest of your life. No pressure, LOL.

    Education is pretty much my whole world. I have three degrees and I teach, but even I can step back and say the "four-year traditional plan" is not right for everyone. I'm not saying it's not right for you, I'm just saying you're right to have doubts and to explore your options.

    The world we live in today is so much faster paced than it was a generation ago. Taking the time to stop and reflect on your life, to reassess where you are and where you want to be, is an important life skill that not many people utilize. You and Matt do this pretty much every week when you sit down to write on your blog. It's a wonderful thing!! My students maintain a weekly blog where they reflect on their learning over the week, and I allow them to add in some personal stuff too so it's not just all mathy. I hope that at least a few will develop a love for blogging and continue with blogs of their own in the future. It's a great tool for personal growth and reflection.

    Hmm...maybe I'm getting off track, but my point is you shouldn't feel bad for having doubts and really thinking this stuff through. Best of luck in your info gathering/decision making. And of course we all care about you! You're a gem!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Bradley, that's very nice of you. You really are a beautiful person. I'm not probably the one who gives the best advice but I hope I compensate with the support I try to show you through my comments. I love you guys and I'm glad to have a little of you both in my life.

    And thank you to you (and Matt) to let us be there for you both. *hugs to you & Matt*

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no "whiny" in being honest about who you are, and what you want and need in life. Some of us just need it sooner. I have zero patience. I want everything yesterday and I don't ever see it changing. So, nope, you're not a whiner...just focused and determined to get to where you want to be. That's the recipe for Success Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you made me cry! Your too sweet. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bradley,

    I am not making light of your comments, but sometimes you make me laugh. I am older than you, and I still want what I want, when I want it! That's not being 'whiny'; that's being human!

    And worthy? — OMG, you are one of the most worthwhile individuals it has ever been my good fortune to cross paths with — Matty, too! If I could, I would hug you both every day and tell you how wonderful and worthwhile you are; there is no debate here, Bradley.

    You do have many decisions to make, but they will be the right ones for you, and made when you are ready. Don't forget the saying I left in my post yesterday.

    And always know you have so many supporters wanting only the best for you. You deserve nothing less.

    Hugs all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brad, you have such a beautiful spirit. You and Matt are wonderful people and I love coming here and connecting with you two and with everyone.

    I wish you lots of positive energy to help with your decision making and to clear your path.♡

    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read Z.A. Maxfield's post over on Chicks & Dicks today? It is strangely relevant. :)

      Delete
  9. Never question your worth Bradley. Its there in everything and everyone you touch. From helping your neighbors to reaching out to your readers to keeping Matts heart safe. Your worth shines through everything you are and do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Sweetie, we all whine and question life at times. No matter how young or old we are.

    Infact, just today, I called my best friend crying and ranted about how unfair life is and why do bad things have to happen so often. Then I even stomped my foot and told her "damnit this is a new year and it was suppossed to be better than last year!"

    Yes, I really did say all that. And honey, I'm much older than you. In fact my twins are going to be 20 in a couple of months. So quit getting down on yourself for sounding whiny now and then. There is nothing wrong with expressing your emotions with a good whine if you need to let it out. The important thing is to not keep it bottled up until you explode.

    I honestly think both you and Matt are very thoughful, sweet guys who have a wonderful future ahead of yourselves. There will always be bumps in the road but you both have pretty good heads on your shoulders and as long as you keep things in perspective you'll do fine.



    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are so easy to please. Matty needs to marry you as soon as you finish school and can start your careers together. And invite us to the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Far as I'm concerned, it's simply a matter of giving back just a wee bit of what you and Matty have contributed to our lives. You're both very special, as individuals and as a couple. Never lose sight of that.

    ReplyDelete