Saturday, December 8, 2012

This took my breath away for some reason

Photo credit: Meryl Schenker
Sometimes when I'm out in public and see a couple looking at each other while they're walking hand-in-hand, I get a really nice warm feeling inside. I never know the two people, but I recognize that look in their eyes. You can always tell when "that look" is a friendship look versus an I love you look.

When I first came across the photo above, I literally (not figuratively) lost my breath. Just stopped breathing and started getting teary.

This is a couple applying for a marriage license in Washington the other day and was carried in some newspapers there.

One thing I like about the pic is how they're not looking at each other. They've probably done their share of looking into each other's eyes and everything there is settled. In this pic, they're looking outward. I'm sure they're looking into the eyes of a representative of the State and are swearing some kind of legal oath so they can get their license.

There's just something so terribly beautiful about their outward look. And you know what? I am completely convinced there's a beautiful story in that pic. Or maybe a thousand beautiful stories.

When you look at this pic, can you hear their story? Somebody needs to start writing. I swear there's probably a thousand stories there.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    I saw this picture yesterday and loved it too! It probably grabbed my attention because the man with the white beard looks exactly like my dad (who looks tough but is the biggest softie ever.)

    I love that they're an older couple who've already been together for a number of years. They wouldn't have to get legally married - no doubt they've been truly married for a long time regardless of what the state says - but this is obviously important to them.

    They're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, you've written a beautiful post here. It's so right that these men, who may have been together a year or a lifetime, can legalise their commitment to each other. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gasps*. I love that photo. You're right, they look like they've settled everything between the two of them. They know the love is there, no questions left. Beautiful. I want them to have been hs sweethearts. Lol.

    They blow every stupid stereotype out of the water too. Awesome.

    -Shell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Matt. I think you caught the essence of that look. When I was younger I didn't think marriage was a necessity. The gist the priest told me was that we were already committed in God's eyes, the ceremony was to have witnesses to it. This pic is telling the rest of the world what they already know - just icing on a great cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful. And yes, probably most people looking at them would gasp, "but they don't look gay". I heard that crap all the time. So this is great. I hope they have many more years of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly, Ivie, that's not what my gasp meant. xo

      Delete
  6. On it, Matt. I actually said yesterday I wanted to write a story for them. :) You must have teddy-cam at my house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie! I'm so glad you're going to write something. Please keep us posted.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful. I want to hear more about their story, too! They look like they're perfect for each other. They're even dressed alike. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It always takes my breath away when I see this "I love you look" in the eyes of old people looking at each other. This pic is no exception and even if they're not looking at each other, we can feel the intensity of their relationship and commitment. Thanks for sharing Matt. *hugs to you both*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also believe they've done their share of looking at each other. This, in the photo, is the slightly stunned, almost defiantly triumphant look that accompanies a dream come true -- for the second time. :)

    They're beautiful, Matty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this picture too! I was looking at the new and we came across a few pics of couples getting their marriage licenses. Even my kids commented on how much they loved this couple and how they looked really happy. :) I am so glad they are getting (and every other couple in WA) their HEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. There is a wonderful intensity of focus in their eyes. A definite sense of their time has finally come to be acknowledged by society. A Facebook friend shared the blog of author Sara York where she is gathering people's real love storie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love stories in their own words. (Sorry, blogger is really unfriendly to mobile devices and won't let me go back and add stuff before posting the comment). There's two stories up so far. It's is a link to the second story on her blog. http://sarayork.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/gay-and-in-love-will-and-pauls-story.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for the link, Aniko! I'm going to check it out! ;)

      Delete
  12. As 'they' say a picture says a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete